Thursday 15 December 2011

6 contested visions


The lecture on contested visions was a very interesting one to me because a lot of questions came to my mind when I thought about the topic after the lecture. The first one was, the guy who invented the internet (Tim Berners-Lee) said he made it as a way of enabling communication and sharing of knowledge, his vision of the web was that it would always be free and available to all human beings. The question that came to my mind was did Tim Berners-Lee know the capabilities of the internet when he first designed it, or was it just made in its original state just to send text based information from one channel to another. I mean look at the internet today, it is a massive space where you can pretty much do anything you want. But was that his vision? Upon doing some research I found out that he never thought it could ever get to that level but he always knew it have the capabilities too.
The second question that came to my mind was the notion of the cloud, in the sense of everything you owning being in one place like in your phone. Yes having our ID card in your phone would be very covenant, but what if you lost your phone what type of information would you have let out into the world, as we all know phones are not encrypted and they can very easily be hacked, so what’s to say a save password to your bank accounts can’t be out there? It’s just a question that ran through my mind and personally I don’t think I would ever use one of these services unless I was fully sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment